We love hearing those on the show, but sometimes the tougher experiences that entrepreneurs have endured are the ones that we learn from most.
Freddy Lansky is the co-founder of iChess, which sells chess videos, courses and DVDs online. Recently, Freddy decided to leave that business, choosing to dissolve an eight-year partnership with one of his closest friends.
On today’s episode, Freddy joins us to talk about the origins of iChess, how he felt trapped in a business that was no longer fulfilling to him, and how he and his partner navigated their breakup amicably.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- How Freddy and his partner Will founded iChess. (3:36)
- When the cracks started to show in their partnership. (10:21)
- What finally made Freddy decide that he needed to leave the business. (18:30)
- How Freddy approached Will to let him know that he wanted out. (25:17)
- How the two of them came to a mutual agreement on Freddy’s exit. (30:43)
Mentioned in the episode:
- Before the Exit – Our New Book
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Help Us Choose a New Name for the TropicalMBA Podcast
- DC BKK
- Dynamite Jobs
- Freddy Lansky
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
- Chris Reynolds
- Judit Polgar
- Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss
- Chris Voss
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is sponsored by Carl Friedrik. We know when you’re out and about and traveling, you need a bag which looks great but is also highly functional – one that can take you a plane, to a business meeting, to the gym and drinks after. Carl Friedrik has a great range of stunning leather bags designed specifically for this. They have backpacks, weekend bags, and classic briefcases and handbags, all with a contemporary sleek design that is Carl Friedrik’s trademark. They are ideal for carrying essentials like a 15-inch laptop, notebooks, documents, clothes and much more. Have a look at their website and use code TMBA10 for a 10% discount on your first purchase.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected] or leave us a voice message using the record button below.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian