We’ve seen a lot of conversations recently in the location independent lifestyle space about something we’ve dubbed “The Digital Nomad Lie”.
The general concept is that being location independent is not everything that it’s cracked up to be, and the idea that you can have it all while sipping coconuts on the beach is simply a myth.
It’s not surprising then that we’ve noticed a number of blogs and think pieces by digital nomads expressing their exhaustion from travel and need to settle down.
But why are people feeling this way? At the heart of it, there may be many misconceptions and mistakes about the way we think about travel.
We’ve invited our good friend and esteemed author Kyla Gardner on to the show this week to share some of her experiences living a location independent lifestyle, her biggest travel mistakes, and whether the promise of the digital nomad lifestyle is fact or fiction.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- The difference between digital nomads and traditional expatriates. (8:15)
- How you can use time zones to your advantage. (20:12)
- Why communities are often more important than locations. (27:40)
- Why two weeks is the worst amount of time to spend somewhere. (36:43)
- What the “Digital Nomad Lie” really boils down to. (47:27)
Mentioned in the episode:
- Before the Exit – Our New Book
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- DC BKK
- Dynamite Jobs
- Dynamite Deals
- Smash Digital
- Kyla Gardner
- The Empire Flippers Podcast
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson
- The Beach
- Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
- Shogun by James Clavell
- Pagan Holiday by Tony Perrottet
- Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is sponsored by SmashDigital.com.
Longtime listeners will be familiar with Travis Jamison’s companies Supremacy SEO and SaaSicorn. They have rebranded as Smash Digital, with the same incredible SEO insights and results.
What they offer is simple yet essential: fully managed SEO services, link building, and audits. It’s how they deliver it that is unique. Get a fresh view on the potential your business has to reach a sustainable source of customers from organic SEO traffic by reaching out to the team at Smash. Smash Digital is offering a free SEO site review for the listeners of the Tropical MBA Podcast.
Head over to SmashDigital.com/TMBA today and fill out the form to get your free SEO audit. Big thanks to the team at Smash Digital for sponsoring the show.
Deal of the Week:
This week’s Dynamite Deal comes to us courtesy of ManyPixels.
Every business needs high-quality design, but not every business needs a full-time, in-house designer.
ManyPixels is the perfect solution for a business owner looking to have their design needs taken care of without the commitment and the trouble of hiring.
ManyPixels has seasoned professionals who know how to help internet businesses. They are well aware of best practices but are also prepared to make designs unique to your business and needs.
For one low rate, you can have access to your own dedicated, professional designer with unlimited designs and revisions.
We’ve partnered with ManyPixels to offer a very limited number of their Basic and Premium plans at a 35% discount.
Head on over to DynamiteDeals.co to take advantage of this Dynamite Deal.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected] or leave us a voice message using the record button below.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian