A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, when Dan and Ian decided to start a business together, their first serious spending was on books. They knew that, in order to run a successful business, they would first have to read up on how others had done gone about it.
This week, Dan has invited good friend of the show and author of “The End of Jobs”, Taylor Pearson back to discuss some of the books they have discovered over the past year, some of the books they have been re-reading as well as some of their favorite blogs.
If you’re searching for some great reading material, this is the episode for you.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- One of Taylor’s favorite books about the future of the economy. (2:01)
- Two of Dan and Taylor’s favorite biographies about important people in the world of business and finance. (12:02)
- Some of the books that Dan and Taylor have re-read over the last six months. (20:34)
- A list of Dan and Taylor’s favorite blogs they have been following in 2016. (25:59)
- How Taylor feels about his book a year after it was released. (33:06)
Mentioned in the episode:
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- The End of Jobs by Taylor Pearson
- The Inevitable by Kevin Kelly
- What Technology Wants by Kevin Kelly
- 1,000 True Fans by Kevin Kelly
- New Rules for the New Economy by Kevin Kelly
- How Not to Die by Dr. Michael Greger
- The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
- Food Rules by Michael Pollan
- Just Kids by Patti Smith
- Petty: The Biography by Warren Zanes
- Shoe Dog by Phil Knight
- Hatching Twitter by Nick Bilton
- Masters of Doom by David Kushner
- The House of Morgan by Ron Churnow
- Alexander Hamilton by Ron Churnow
- Titan by Ron Churnow
- Washington: A Life by Ron Churnow
- The Snowball by Alice Schroeder
- Boomerang by Michael Lewis
- The Big Short by Michael Lewis
- Chaos by James Gleick
- City of Thieves by David Benioff
- Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
- Guns, Germs And Steel by Jared Diamond
- Principles by Ray Dalio
- Bridgewater Associates
- Antifragile by Nassim Taleb
- Shogun by James Clavell
- Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
- Long Live RSS
- Slate Star Codex – No Clarity Around Growth Mindset
- Slate Star Codex – I Can Tolerate Anything Except the Outgroup
- Red Kite Prayer
- Pedestrian Observations
- Stratechery – Dollar Shave Club and the Disruption of Everything
- Stratechery – Aggregation Theory
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA 310: A Conversation About Writing Books
- TMBA 338: What is the World’s Best Diet?
- TMBA 357: A Review of Snowball, a Biography Of Warren Buffett
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected]
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST.
Dan & Ian