This week’s episode is the final instalment of our three-part series about people who have turned their passions (which just happen to be some of Dan and Ian‘s personal obsessions) into successful businesses.
Today’s guest is the podcaster that Dan has listened to the most in 2016: Nate Duncan, founder and host of the Dunc’d On Basketball Podcast. Nate has only been podcasting for a little over a year but has already turned it into his full-time job.
On the show, you’ll hear Nate share how he started his podcast, grew his audience, and made the decision to leave his job as a lawyer to concentrate on developing ‘Dunc’d On Basketball’.
Stay tuned after the credits for some hardcore hoop talk as well.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- Why Nate decided that he was going to quit being a lawyer and create a basketball podcast. (3:56)
- Whether or not Nate was worried about jumping into a very saturated market of sports journalism. (11:02)
- What kind of preparation goes into each episode of the Dunc’d On podcast. (16:13)
- How Nate went about monetizing his podcast and what kind of advertisers he is working with. (19:51)
- What Nate would do differently if he had to start over right now. (26:14)
Mentioned in the episode:
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Dunc’d On
- Danny Leroux
- Bill Simmons
- John Hollinger
- Sports Illustrated
- The Cauldron
- Basketball Insiders
- Blog Talk Radio
- Helix Sleep
- Kevin Pelton
- Zach Lowe
- The Jordan Rules by Sam Smith
- The TrueHoop Podcast
- Locked On NBA
- Locked On Jazz
- Anthony Slater
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA 336: Matt Farah on Breaking Through
- TMBA 353: On the Bike with Patrick Brady
- TMBA 354: Who is Mr. Regular? The Story Behind the Hit YouTube Channel Regular Car Reviews
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST.
Dan & Ian