For over half a decade, one of my favorite daily rituals is opening up my RSS feed reader (what is RSS?) after my morning working session (along with the DC and Hacker News). Although my Feedly account currently has 300+ subscriptions, it’s not difficult to keep up with the content. I subscribe primarily to independent publishers who publish at maximum 4 or 5 articles a week. So as per the usual– I’m looking for more great blogs and online journeys to follow. I’m hoping that by sharing some of my favorites, and handful of you will be willing to share your favorite blogs in the comments.
Some of my friends just can’t seem to get over the fact that I don’t watch The Wire or go to the movies, but I’ve got a pretty serious book, blog, and podcast habit that I refuse to interfere with. I love blogs because you get to see ‘news’ happen on the ground. Why wait until Business Week picks up WP Curve’s story? Follow it as it unfolds. I also love interacting directly with publishers. Last week’s post (which I was a little worried about publishing, but no more after seeing the incredible responses) is a great example of this type of interaction– many of you, like me, have built a life and career around the people and projects we’ve found in the blogosphere.
So that brings me to today. Two and a half years ago, I put up a post outlining some of my favorite blog and podcasts. I’m going to update that list with some of my new found favorites, and I’ll also include a couple of old ones that have been really good lately.
A lot of TMBA favorites were intentionally left off the list (you know who you are) as I’ve been blogging for 5 years and mention folks all the time. So, ya know, all disclaimers– some of my very close friends and favorite blogs are left off of the list. I worked fast and pulled 60 URLs off the top of the pile.
I’ll focus here on the blogs that are somewhat TMBAish.
Anyway, the order is random too in the interest of time. Here goes…
- Ribbonfarm – philosophy. (ok, I put this first b/c it’s my favorite).
- Benny Lewis – Language learning, travel.
- Chaotic Flow – SaaS and retention mathematics.
- Anthony Bourdain. Food, Adventure, Gasta.
- Airline Trends – Airlines, travel.
- Ask the Pilot – Ask a pilot (check out his book).
- Mark Cuban – Watch a billionaire blog just like the rest of us.
- Derek Sivers – Philosopreneur.
- Mr Money Mustache – Money badassery.
- J.A. Konrath – Self publishing.
- A Life Less Bullshit – Personal change, productivity.
- Empire Flippers – Build, buy, and sell websites.
- Almost Fearless – Travel!
- James Altucher – productivity, psychology.
- Ecommerce Fuel – Ecommerce strategy.
- Brad Feld – Startups.
- Both Sides of the Table – Startups, VC.
- Charlie Hoehn – Career strategy.
- Letters of Note – Letter porn, historical interest.
- Legal Nomads – Travel, food!
- Ben Green – fitness.
- Zen Habits – Original gansta blog (my first RSS sub).
- Tucker Max – Publishing, entrepreneurship.
- Viper Chill – Online marketing.
- Sebastian Marshall – daily rituals.
- Marginal Revolution – economics, info porn.
- Saigoneer – Vietnam news.
- Resilient Communities– Sustainable communities, development.
- Pedestrian Observations – development, transit systems.
- Kyle Le – Viet Kieu expat in Vietnam.
- Ryan Carson – Front row seat to entrepreneurial / organizational innovation.
- Quantified Self – self monitoring.
- Roads and Kingdoms – travel.
- Cal Newport – Career and effectiveness strategies.
- Ryan Holiday – writing, philosophy, productivity.
- Bryan Alexander – academia, technology.
- Yomadic – Travel.
- Finch Sells – Online marketing, paid traffic.
- Freedom Lovin’ – Location independence, five flags.
- Seth Godin – You just must read it.
- Mark Manson – Relationships, philosophy, practical psychology.
- Kalzumeus – Bootstrapped software startups, email marketing.
- Nomadic Matt – travel.
- Paul Graham – Essays.
- Randy’s Blog – Boeing’s marketing arm.
- Sam Harris – philosophy.
- Steven Pressfield – Writing, publishing.
- Taylor Pearson – Business systems and strategies.
- WP Curve – Front row seat to the year’s most exciting bootstrapped start-up.
- Travelfish on Indonesia – Thoughts on Bali and Indonesia.
- Mark’s Daily Apple – Fitness, diet.
- Joel Runyon – Personal productivity.
- Barbell Shrugged – Fitness.
- Spartan Traveler – Travel, lifestyle design.
- The Champs – Comedy.
- Smart Drugs Smarts – Productivity, brain health.
- Hardcore History – History.
- This Week in Statups – Startups.
- Nomadic Notes – Travel.
- Stop Having a Boring Life – Travel.
Ok, my fingers hurt. I’ll make a GCAL reminder to circle back in a year and revisit this list.
I’d love your suggestions! What would you suggest I check out? I’m looking forward to taking a weekend deep-dive into some new blogs.