Ian, Taylor Pearson and myself can’t stop listening to Alex Blumberg‘s new podcast called Startup. If you haven’t heard it yet, go check it out! If you listen to a lot of podcasts or radio at all, you’ve probably heard Alex’s work on shows like This American Life and Planet Money. We decided we wanted to create an episode that would serve as a companion piece to this fantastic series. The three of us are talking about how the show inspired us, what we see as the ironies in the venture capital world, the distinctions between being and artist and an entrepreneur, and what this series represents in the podcasting world.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- Why so many people are starting their businesses by telling their stories.
- What you can learn by being transparent about your business to the outside world.
- Why it pays to be disagreeable as an entrepreneur.
- What we have learned from listening to the series and what we would have done differently.
- Why seeking venture capital is not the answer for everybody who wants to start a business.
- The benefits of hiring a location independent staff.
People on this episode:
Mentioned in the episode:
- The Dynamite Circle
- Call us at 888-554-8428
- TropicalMBA Listeners
- Gimlet Media
- Gigaom: The Life and Death of a Venture Funded Media Startup
- This American Life
- Planet Money
- Chris Sacca
- Traction by Gabriel Weinberg
- Rob Walling
- Mike Taber
- Fred Wilson
- Dave McClure
- Travis Kalanick
- Jason Cohen
- Dan Carlin
- John Lee Dumas
- Entrepreneur on Fire
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST.
Dan & Ian