Last week we teased about a very special guest that would be appearing on this week’s show. Today, Dan and Ian are pleased to reveal that guest is Alex Blumberg, the CEO of Gimlet Media and the host of one of our very favorite podcasts, Startup.
As entrepreneurs, many of us have grown up listening to Alex’s work on shows like This American Life and Planet Money. But, with the creation of Gimlet Media which, he hopes, will become the ‘home for narrative audio for decades to come’, he’s having a huge impact on the world of podcast production more widely.
In the episode Alex talks about his vision for the company, what he’s learnt along the way and why he thinks audio is an ‘inherently more empathetic medium than TV’.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- How Alex felt about our audio response to the first season of Startup. (5:44)
- What kinds of risks Alex was taking when he decided to leave public radio. (7:59)
- How Alex’s partner Matt was able to craft a sales narrative for podcast advertising. (13:02)
- Why Alex believes in the power of an audio medium. (15:15)
- One of the biggest issues that Gimlet Media faces moving forward. (25:08)
Mentioned in the episode:
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Alex Blumberg
- Gimlet Media
- This American Life
- Planet Money
- Reply All
- Mystery Show
- Lisa Chow
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA244: “I Got My First Monies, What Should I Do Now?”
- TMBA286: An Audio Response to Alex Blumberg and Gimlet Media’s “Startup” Podcast
- TMBA326: To VC or Not to VC, That is the Question
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected]
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST.
Dan & Ian