One of the members introduced the idea of “Imposter Syndrome”, and asked the rest of the community if they ever felt like a fake entrepreneur.
We decided to reach out to three of the people who contributed to that discussion. Brendan Tully, Luis Gil, and Conni Biesalski have all joined us on this week’s episode to share some of their struggles with these feelings.
To our surprise, we discovered that all the conversations focused less on the idea of feeling like an imposter, and more on the general anxieties, fears and vulnerability that we all deal with in life, and can really be exacerbated by entrepreneurship on the web.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- Why Brendan feels like internet marketing podcasts are misrepresenting what it really means to be an entrepreneur. (3:29)
- How a move to New York caused Luis to change the way that he approached his career in music. (10:50)
- How imposter syndrome can have direct impact on the way you run your business. (20:08)
- How Conni handles the negative feedback that comes from YouTube. (26:50)
- Why living a “dream life” left Conni feeling depressed. (30:05)
Mentioned in the episode:
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Brendan Tully
- The Search Engine Shop
- Luis Gil
- Mark Manson
- Conni Biesalski
- Derek Sivers
- Tim Ferriss
- Planet Backpack
- 30 Days of Vulnerability
A big thanks to AppSumo – this episode’s sponsor. AppSumo is the place to find huge deals on tools to help you grow your online business. They’ve put together some great free stuff for TMBA listeners as well, check it out: AppSumo.com/TMBA
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA 325: A Conversation With Ribbonfarm’s Venkat Rao
- TMBA 366: A Conversation with Ricardo Semler
- TMBA 381: A Conversation with Cal Newport
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected]
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian