There is a movement in the internet business world where some companies have decided to start getting rid of offices altogether. It might seem easy for small businesses to pull this off, but lately businesses have started to do this at scale. This week, Dan and Ian are going to be speaking to a few entrepreneurs who are growing real teams for their businesses without offices; Wade Foster, the co-founder of Zapier, and Michael Erickson of Search Scientists. Some of the issues that they will touch on in this episode include how to create a culture remotely, how to keep on top of what everyone is doing and how to make your employees feel like they are part of a team.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- Michael’s unique approach to team meetings. (7:00)
- How Zapier was founded at an entrepreneurial weekend retreat. (12:25)
- How a love story was a determining factor in why Zapier decided to develop a remote team. (16:49)
- The benefits of recruiting from anywhere in the world. (21:15)
- Some of the tools the Zapier team uses to maximize remote performance. (28:29)
Mentioned in the episode:
- The Dynamite Circle
- Search Scientists
- Y Combinator
- Paul Graham
- P2 Theme
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA251: The Entrepreneurial Quest
- TMBA316: How Much Should I Be Meeting With My Team?
- TMBA319: The Mind Game of Making Over $100,000
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at email@example.com.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST.
Dan & Ian