On this week’s show, Dan is speaking with Venkatesh Rao, author of RibbonFarm, a rich philosophy blog about technology, entrepreneurship, work structures and much more. He also recently launched an essay series called Breaking Smart, exploring the relationship between humanity and technology.
In a wide-ranging conversation Dan and Venkat talk about, amongst other things, the difference between a ‘business model’ and a ‘business philosophy; what Silicon Valley really thinks about bootstrapped start-ups; the danger of getting locked into ‘mental models’ of perceived knowledge and what it means to be power-literate.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- How we can redefine our relationship with money. (4:23)
- The difference between a being a Missionary and being a Mercenary. (12:02)
- What “The Gervais Principle” is and how it applies to Lifestyle Designers. (19:10)
- How you can hit the “Refresh Button” on your mental models. (39:51)
- Venkash’s thoughts on work ethic and how he has been able to create such a strong output level in his writing. (51:37)
Mentioned in the episode:
- The Dynamite Circle
- The Gervais Principle
- Breaking Smart
- Where the Wild Thoughts Are
- The 4-Hour Workweek
- Entrepreneurs are the New Labor
- William Gibson
- Y Combinator
- Sebastian Marshall
- Taylor Pearson
- Seeing Like a State by James C. Scott
- Nassim Taleb
- Chesterton’s Fence
- The Knowledge Project with Venkatash Rao
- Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards
- You Are Not an Artisan
- Paul Graham
- Elizabeth Gilbert: Your Elusive Creative Genius
- David Heinemeier Hansson
- Ruby on Rails
- ReWork by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson
- Getting Real
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA061: Seven Reasons Why Your ‘Four Hour Work Week’ Business is Failing
- TMBA150: How to Be a Happy Sociopath
- TMBA189: How to Monetize a Blog or Podcast
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected].
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST.
Dan & Ian