Maverick is Ricardo Semler‘s account of how he was able to transform his family’s traditional manufacturing business into an experiment that introduced the world to his innovative business practices. Even though the book is over 20 years old, today’s entrepreneurs are still looking to it for inspiration.
Ricardo opens up about what his life has looked like since the book was published, and how he has began to spread those innovations to other aspects of society and through LeadWise and Semco Style Institute.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- How Ricardo felt after he transitioned out of Semco. (6:12)
- Whether or not Ricardo was aware of the reputation his book had build in the entrepreneurial community. (10:05)
- Why Ricardo decided to burn hundreds of his books in a fire pit. (12:57)
- How Ricardo is starting to transfer some of his innovative business practices into his community. (25:37)
- The benefits of seeking internal satisfaction. (35:03)
Mentioned in the episode:
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Ricardo Semler
- Maverick by Ricardo Semler
- Semco Style Institute
- Ricardo Semler TED Talk
- Alfred Sloan
- Jack Welch
- Michel Foucault
- Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari
- Gabby Wallace
- Go Natural English
- Richard Branson
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA 325: A Conversation With Ribbonfarm’s Venkat Rao
- TMBA 326: To VC or Not to VC, That is the Question
- TMBA 330: Getting the Most Out of YouTube
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected]
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST.
Dan & Ian