Seth Godin is something of a legend in entrepreneurial circles, and he hardly needs an introduction.
His books about marketing, creativity, building companies and personal development include Purple Cow, Meatball Sundae, The Dip, and Linchpin. These books are frequent recommendations on this podcast and have long been shared among our listeners.
In addition, Seth has founded an intensive four-week alternative online MBA called altMBA. He has also created several podcasts including the popular Startup School. Seth’s newest project is a podcast called Akimbo.
Today’s show features a wide-ranging interview, which touches on a variety of topics including Seth’s history as a writer and podcaster, what the business world can offer society and much more.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- What motivated Seth to start Akimbo. (3:46)
- Why Seth focuses so much on the idea of not adhering to social norms. (14:02)
- Advice for entrepreneurs who are considering selling their business. (23:23)
- The story behind Startup School and why it remains relevant today. (34:31)
- Where the 1,000 True Fans business model can go wrong. (39:39)
Mentioned in the episode:
- Before the Exit – Our New Book
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Help Us Choose a New Name for the TropicalMBA Podcast
- DC BKK
- Seth Godin
- Purple Cow by Seth Godin
- Meatball Sundae by Seth Godin
- The Dip by Seth Godin
- Linchpin by Seth Godin
- Survival is Not Enough by Seth Godin
- What to Do When It’s Your Turn by Seth Godin
- Seth’s Blog: Thirty Years of Projects
- Startup School
- Hardcore History
- Mystery Show – Case #3
- Phillip Glass
- Bo Burlingham
- Derek Sivers
- CD Baby
- Howard Schultz
- Steven Pressfield
- The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
- Do The Work by Steven Pressfield
- Kevin Kelly
- Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Elizabeth Gilbert on Genius
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is brought to you by a brand new product that we have launched called Dynamite Jobs. Dynamite Jobs is a one-stop shop for marketing, support, and operations jobs. The idea is to connect entrepreneurs listening to this show with top, professional talent located remotely around the world. These types of remote positions can be especially challenging to hire for, and we specialize in making that process easy. Whether you’re an entrepreneur looking to hire remote team members or someone who is looking for the kind of remote job that will allow more freedom in your life, head over to DynamiteJobs.co.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at email@example.com
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian