This week I was lucky enough to catch up with Stuart McDonald, the founder of Travelfish, which one of the most respected sites on the web for South East Asia travel information. If you peak over the shoulder of a random backpacker in Bangkok cafes, expect to see a “TravelFish” URL along with Facebook blue.
There aren’t many people that have more travel experience in the region than Stuart. Because of this, I couldn’t help but ask him a lot of travel and expat-centric questions. We talk about everything from raising a family in SEAsia, the lore and adventure many westerners place on SEAsian adventures, the nuts and bolts of expat living, and how Stuart was able to turn Travelfish into a successful online business.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- The origins of Travelfish.
- Tips for expatriates who are raising a family in South East Asia.
- Stuart’s ideal four week travel itinerary.
- What’s the best travel itinerary for a one month South East Asia adventure?
- Koh San Road vs. Pham Ngu Lao
- What has changed the most in the fifteen years in the region.
- Tools and recommended reading for people who are planning to travel in the region.
People on this episode:
Mentioned in the episode:
- Call us at 888-554-8428
- TropicalMBA Listeners
- Lonely Planet
- The Beach by Alex Garland
- Gringo Trails
- River of Time by Jon Swain
- The Quiet American by Graham Greene
- Indonesia Etc. by Elizabeth Pisani
- Catfish and Mandala by Andrew X. Pham
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST.
Dan & Ian