Yesterday I read a crappy blog article. It was total shit. Some guy, who people care about, wrote lame stuff about a topic that’s been written about to death since the turn of the millenium.
Later, while in the shower, I was pulling apart this guy’s crappy article. It was like playing kickball with kindergardeners. Home run for clear thinking!
It only took a few minutes for me to realize I was the big idiot.
In that moment it occurred to me that people don’t read blogs only to get the best information on a topic, or the most sound arguments. They show up to be a part of the conversation. To engage others who are talking about the same ideas.
I know… simple. Sometimes I’m a little late to the obvious party.
I’ve thought of this blog as an outlet for my business thoughts. I don’t want to change that, but I’d like to do a better job of sharing my passions here on the blog. I’ve realized that this isn’t all about my second rate business philosophies. (Read 4HWW, Maverick, Good to Great, Getting Things Done, and call it a day!)
We are, after all, here to hang out with each other. In that spirit, I’ll share, from time to time, a little bit more about what I’m about.
- I’m about working my ass off. I love my work and I do it all the time. I’m not interested in “taking it easy.” I am most healthy and flourishing when I am doing good work. I started working real jobs when I was 13. My whole family worked their butts off too and I admire that. Almost everyone who has a cool business understands this. Other people seem to have a hard time with the idea.
- I’m about personal freedom. I want more freedom, more choices, more power, and more influence to get things done in the world. I’m willing to work to get it and I’m willing to take responsibility for the stuff I mess up.
- I’m about my family. I’m about my mom’s cooking, my dad’s advice, my sister’s style, and my brother’s energy. I’m even more about their dogs, which are super cute.
- I’m about not being resentful. I can see it in your eyes when you resent the success of others. We should work together to do away with all that childish shit.
- I’m about helping with the genuine success of those around me. I have more than one employee who has made out better financially from my companies than I have. That’s just the start– I want you to go out and kick major ass. Maybe you’ll give me a good gig someday :D
- I’m about swearing. Ever since I spent 2.5 weeks on a mountain trail when I was 15 with only a backpack, I started swearing up a storm. Just like tough guys in the movies. I try to keep it in check on the podcast, but in real life, I’m a swear bear.
- I’m about the fucking internet. My god aren’t we lucky? When I was 4 years old my mother went in to debt to fund an enormous library of encyclopedias for our home. You literally couldn’t fit them all in trunk of our car. Now I’ve got it a click away.
- I’m about playing it cool and not being a dick. What’s up with assholes? I don’t get it.
- I’m about being a contrarian. Not for the sake of it, but for challenging myself on inherited ideas. Start getting a kick out of changing your mind, your ideals, your tastes, and you’ll find life becomes a lot more fun.
- I’m about having a damn good time. I like to party. WE like to party. Fo sho.
- I’m about being slightly evil. Certain truths need to be protected by lies. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, you have reached a level of congruence I am aspiring to… or you don’t have a horse in the race.
- I’m about the truth, even when it sucks. It doesn’t make sense to me when people willingly believe un-truths in order to make life easier on themselves. This seems to me like an awful strategy.
- I’m about shit not being such a big deal. I know, I know…. stuff is a big deal. But if you ever have the chance to have it not be a big deal, take yourself up on it. Quit your job. Get on a plane. Start the business. Call the girl. Make the joke. Sing the song. It’s not a big fucking deal.
- I’m about not being a pussy. A lot of stuff I’ve done to build a business scared the shit out of me. Firing people, cutting high level deals, making cold calls to influencers. Telling the truth. The fear of being a pussy was much bigger for me.
- I’m about reading and learning. That’s why I got in to blogs in the first place. Reading and listening to the radio are my two favorite ways to get information.
- I’m about loyalty. This isn’t so dissimilar to wanting the best for those around you, and working hard to make sure it happens.
- I’m about trying something new for the sake of it. I’m about that adventure, that new idea. Why the hell not?
- I’m about projects, with people I love, respect, and communicate well with. Projects are more fun than happy hours. Just sayin’.
- I’m about you, dear reader, dear listener. It sort of blows me away that you dropped by today. Thank you. :D
I’m about a bunch of other stuff too. But I gotta get back to work :)
What are you all about?