Today we are talking about books and, in particular, the favorite books that we have read in the past year.
And continuing an annual tradition, we invited our good friend and talented author Kyla Gardner to share her recommendations too.
This conversation also details how some of our reading and social media habits have changed over the last 12 months, why Kyla has started writing fiction, and much more.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- How social media habits have influenced the ways that we read and write. (4:12)
- The new book that Kyla is currently working on. (7:31)
- A somewhat controversial book that critiques our modern society. (11:53)
- Some of our favorite entrepreneurial stories we read this year. (17:39)
- A few bonus books for those who want even more recommendations. (31:22)
Mentioned in the episode:
- Before the Exit – Our New Book
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Help Us Choose a New Name for the TropicalMBA Podcast
- DC BKK
- Dynamite Jobs
- Kyla Gardner
- Tim Grahl – Marketer
- The Beach by Alex Garland
- Overbooked by Elizabeth Becker
- Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging by Sebastian Junger
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt
- Straight Man by Richard Russo
- Tai-Pan by James Clavell
- Anything You Want by Derek Sivers
- Derek Sivers
- CD Baby
- Skin in the Game by Nassim Taleb
- Nassim Taleb
- Grit by Angela Duckworth
- Liar’s Poker by Michael Lewis
- Michael Lewis
- Educated by Tara Westover
- Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport
- Cal Newport
- On the Genealogy of Morals by Friedrich Nietzche
- Friedrich Nietzche
- Profit First by Mike Michalowicz
- Secrets of the Millionaire Mind by T. Harv Eker
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is brought to you by Dynamite Jobs. Dynamite Jobs is a service that helps entrepreneurs and listeners of this show find top, experienced talent to join their teams. These types of remote positions can be especially challenging to hire for, and we specialize in making that process easy. For those of you who are on the hunt for a new opportunity, we know how frustrating it can be to find good remote jobs, so we only work with established, reputable companies offering great remote opportunities. If you’re looking for a new job in the new year, check out DynamiteJobs.co.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected] or leave us a voice message using the record button below.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian