We love hearing those on the show, but sometimes the tougher experiences that entrepreneurs have endured are the ones that we learn from most.
Freddy Lansky is the co-founder of iChess, which sells chess videos, courses, and DVDs online. Recently, Freddy decided to leave that business, choosing to dissolve an eight-year partnership with one of his closest friends. Today he runs Points Panda (pointspanda.com), a travel hacking and credit card affiliate blog helping travel safely during the pandemic.
On today’s episode, Freddy joins us to talk about the origins of iChess, how he felt trapped in a business that was no longer fulfilling to him, and how he and his partner navigated their breakup amicably.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- How Freddy and his partner Will founded iChess. (3:36)
- When the cracks started to show in their partnership. (10:21)
- What finally made Freddy decide that he needed to leave the business. (18:30)
- How Freddy approached Will to let him know that he wanted out. (25:17)
- How the two of them came to a mutual agreement on Freddy’s exit. (30:43)
Mentioned in the episode:
- Before the Exit – Our New Book
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Help Us Choose a New Name for the TropicalMBA Podcast
- DC BKK
- Dynamite Jobs
- Freddy Lansky
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
- Chris Reynolds
- Judit Polgar
- Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss
- Chris Voss
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is sponsored by Carl Friedrik. We know when you’re out and about and traveling, you need a bag which looks great but is also highly functional – one that can take you a plane, to a business meeting, to the gym and drinks after. Carl Friedrik has a great range of stunning leather bags designed specifically for this. They have backpacks, weekend bags, and classic briefcases and handbags, all with a contemporary sleek design that is Carl Friedrik’s trademark. They are ideal for carrying essentials like a 15-inch laptop, notebooks, documents, clothes and much more. Have a look at their website and use code TMBA10 for a 10% discount on your first purchase.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected] or leave us a voice message using the record button below.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian