Cal Newport is a Computer Science professor, who has spent his career writing about the intersection of technology and culture in the contemporary digital age.
Cal joins us this week to talk about his new book, Digital Minimalism, which is all about the dangers and distractions of social media.
This interview covers a broad range of topics, including the psychology behind the “Walled Gardens” of social media, why Cal invited 1,600 people to go on a month-long “Digital Declutter”, how we can develop a philosophy to improve the way that we interact with technology in our lives, and much, much more.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- How social media has discouraged people from having high quality conversations. (4:06)
- The mental health problems that an entire generation who have grown up with technology are facing. (12:41)
- What it means to be a “Digital Minimalist”. (18:37)
- Why social media is not a foundational technology. (28:22)
- The true value of living an intentional life. (46:15)
Mentioned in the episode:
- Before the Exit – Our New Book
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Help Us Choose a New Name for the TropicalMBA Podcast
- DC BKK
- Dynamite Jobs
- Cal Newport
- Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport
- Deep Work by Cal Newport
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You by Cal Newport
- iGen by Jean M. Twenge PhD
- Nicomachean Ethics
- Steve Jobs Never Wanted Us to Use Our iPhones Like This
- Lead Yourself First by Raymond M. Kethledge and Michael S. Erwin
- Bill Maher
- Blaise Pascal
- Wendell Berry
- Friedrich Nietzsche
- Jocko Willink
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is brought to you by Dynamite Jobs. Dynamite Jobs is a service that helps entrepreneurs and listeners of this show find top, experienced talent to join their teams. These types of remote positions can be especially challenging to hire for, and we specialize in making that process easy. For those of you who are on the hunt for a new opportunity, we know how frustrating it can be to find good remote jobs, so we only work with established, reputable companies offering great remote opportunities. If you’re looking for a new job in the new year, check out DynamiteJobs.co.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected] or leave us a voice message using the record button below.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian