We here at the Tropical MBA are always fascinated with people who raise questions that challenge the social narratives that most people follow.
It’s no wonder then that Christoper Ryan caught our attention.
Christopher recently published a new book called Civilized to Death, which argues that so-called “progress” has actually adversely affected the way we live.
He joins us today to talk about his unconventional path to becoming a published author, and why civilization might not represent progress.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- How Christopher’s life changed in one weekend. (11:15)
- Why we should be suspicious of ambition. (19:40)
- Why Chris believes that progress isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. (30:35)
- What we can learn from the things that we aren’t supposed to talk about. (39:10)
- Why America represents some of the worst things about modern civilization. (47:04)
Mentioned in the episode:
- Before the Exit – Our New Book
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- DC BKK
- Dynamite Jobs
- Dynamite Deals
- Smash Digital
- Christopher Ryan
- Tangentially Speaking
- Civilized to Death by Christopher Ryan
- Sex at Dawn by Christopher Ryan
- The Story of B by Daniel Quinn
- Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
- The Moral Animal by Robert Wright
- Predators and Editors
- Savage Love by Dan Savage
- Joe Rogan
- Duncan Trussel
- The Question Concerning Technology by Martin Heidegger
- The History of Sexuality, Vol. 2 by Michael Faucault
- Discipline and Punish by Michael Faucault
- The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn
- What Technology Wants by Kevin Kelly
- Antifragile by Nassim Taleb
- Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes
- Tristan Harris
- What You Can’t Say by Paul Graham
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected] or leave us a voice message using the record button below.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian