The message was from listener Jay Clouse.
Jay wrote that he was struggling with some of the common issues that early-stage entrepreneurs face. Jay recently left his position at a tech startup and has started a new business facilitating mastermind groups.
Rather than email him back, Dan and Ian decided it might be fun to call Jay and talk about some of his challenges ‘live’ on the show.
This episode might be useful for those who are just starting a business. For more experienced entrepreneurs, we hope you’ll stick around and maybe share some of your own advice for Jay, and people like him, in the comments section.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- Why Jay decided to leave a product management role to pursue his own business. (3:25)
- Some of the bigger problems that Jay is facing in his business today. (5:50)
- Why you need to consider the needs of the market if you are trying to create a lifestyle business. (19:10)
- The benefits of building an organization rather than raising your rates as a freelancer. (27:20)
- Why being honest with yourself is the most important part of this process. (38:37)
Mentioned in the episode:
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Help Us Choose a New Name for the TropicalMBA Podcast
- DC BKK
- Jay Clouse
- Taylor Pearson
- You can have two Big Things, but not three by Jason Cohen
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is brought to you by Empire Flippers. Empire Flippers are the leading specialists in helping entrepreneurs buy, sell, and invest in online businesses. Whether you are looking to buy or sell, Empire Flippers’ dedicated team will make sure you are supported at every step of the process. As a very special gift, the Empire Flippers are offering a free business valuation (A $300 value) exclusively to listeners of this show. All you have to do is visit EmpireFlippers.com/TMBA for more details.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA 418: The Services Problem
- TMBA 420: No Epiphany Required
- TMBA 424: Three Scripts for Entrepreneurship
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected]
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian