One of the biggest challenges of running a remote team is communication.
After all, “watercooler conversations” rarely happen when your team is scattered across the globe.
Together with his partner Justin Cooke, they have built a team of over 70 people who are entirely location independent and are scattered all over the world.
Joe joins us on today’s podcast to talk about his experience managing a remote team, and how holding twice-annual team retreats has been paramount to the success of Empire Flippers.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- What their first company meetup looked like. (5:44)
- How these meetups have changed as their company has grown. (9:10)
- Why they prefer remote team meetups to working from an office. (15:51)
- What Joe believes are the most essential parts of their retreats. (30:04)
- Some locations that Joe thinks make for great team retreats. (34:23)
Mentioned in the episode:
This Week’s Sponsor:
This week’s podcast is sponsored by Bean Ninjas.
If you’re anxious about your business finances, today’s sponsor has an offer for you.
Bean Ninjas is an online bookkeeping and financial education company that has been helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom through stress-free finances for almost five years.
They were recently named Xero bookkeeping partner of the year in 2019, and they are offering to train you on how to effectively use Xero to manage your finances with their “How to Do Your Bookkeeping in Xero” online course.
As a special offer to Tropical MBA listeners, you can get 25% off this 5-week course. Head over to BeanNinjas.com/TMBA for more details.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian