Justin Cooke is one of the co-founders of Empire Flippers. Empire Flippers is a marketplace for online businesses. Since their inception, they have grown their team to around 60 remote employees, and have helped people buy and sell over $50 million worth of businesses.
It wasn’t always like that, though. On today’s podcast, Justin is joining us to share the story of how Empire Flippers came about.
You’ll hear about Justin’s background in the mortgage industry, how he joined forces with his business partner Joe Magnotti, why the market crash in 2008 left them with almost no money, and how they were eventually able to create Empire Flippers.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- What the team at Empire Flippers looks like. (6:40)
- Justin’s first forays into entrepreneurship and how he met his business partner Joe Magnotti. (12:59)
- How Joe and Justin fine-tuned their sales skills in the mortgage industry and what happened when that industry collapsed. (18:08)
- What led to their decision to start a new business outsourcing work to the Philippines. (31:26)
- How Joe and Justin started flipping websites and eventually created Empire Flippers. (42:26)
Mentioned in the episode:
- Before the Exit – Our New Book
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Help Us Choose a New Name for the TropicalMBA Podcast
- DC BKK
- Dynamite Jobs
- Justin Cooke
- Empire Flippers
- Joe Magnotti
- The Big Short
- The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss
- Amazon Mechanical Turk
- The 11 Most Popular Online Business Models
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is brought to you by Ahrefs. Many of our listeners already know that Ahrefs is the #1 go-to tool for optimizing SEO traffic results, but it’s a whole lot more comprehensive than that. They actually offer an entire suite of SEO tools and act as sort of a “Swiss Army Knife” of SEO. If you want to rank higher in Google and send your search traffic through the roof, visit Ahrefs.com for their $7 trial offer. Even better, Ahrefs is offering one lucky listener of today’s show a free Lite annual account, worth nearly $1,000. All you need to do is tweet @Ahrefs and @TropicalMBA, and let us know why you need to win.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at email@example.com or leave us a voice message using the record button below.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian