This week, we are taking a look at two of Dan’s favorite topics: cycling and event-based businesses.
On this episode, you’ll hear Uli talk about the logistical challenges of creating an event like this, how he set out to achieve the ambitious task of shutting down the George Washington bridge for a cycling race, and how GFNY has managed to expand into a global brand.
Even if you aren’t into cycling, today’s episode offers some unique insights into building successful events, and growing a strong brand that you can license out to others, or create a franchise around.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- Why Uli decided to leave his day job. (7:00)
- What inspired Uli and his wife to create GFNY. (11:44)
- How GFNY began expanding to include events worldwide. (23:35)
- Why Uli is so passionate about keeping doping out of cycling. (32:00)
- What the future looks like for GFNY. (44:07)
Mentioned in the episode:
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Help Us Choose a New Name for the TropicalMBA Podcast
- DC BKK
- Uli Fluhme
- Tough Mudder
- Spartan Race
- A Beginner’s Guide to Cycling Gran Fondos
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is brought to you by ConvertKit. ConvertKit offers automated marketing for one of the most powerful assets in business – your mailing list. For listeners of the TMBA podcast, ConvertKit is willing to offer their full functionality for free for 30 days, just head over to Convertkit.com/tmba to check it out.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA 336: Matt Farah on Breaking Through
- TMBA 353: On the Bike with Patrick Brady
- TMBA 388: Why We Need Strong Towns
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected]
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian