Since then, it has become a sort of annual tradition for Kevin to return to the show and update us about his entrepreneurial journey.
Since we last spoke, Kevin had adopted a bold strategy of rapid growth, acquiring 9 different businesses in less than a year.
That plan ended up being more than he bargained for, though, and he found himself working long hours, getting into unhealthy habits, and ultimately feeling extremely burned out.
Kevin joins us today to talk about the perils of chasing growth, the steps that he’s taken to course-correct, and the three principles that he has adopted to avoid getting burned out in the future.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- Some of the problems Kevin encountered acquiring businesses. (4:36)
- The benefits of calmness as a business attribute. (9:12)
- Why you don’t need to become a manager in your company. (16:32)
- How a founder’s retreat helped give Kevin the clarity he needed to make positive change. (23:10)
- Why you shouldn’t chase growth for growth’s sake. (28:51)
Mentioned in the episode:
- Before the Exit – Our New Book
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- DC BKK
- Dynamite Jobs
- Dynamite Deals
- Smash Digital
- Kevin Graham
- Site Arrow
- The E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber
- Paul Graham
- Company of One by Paul Jarvis
- The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Keeping Your Sh*t Together by Sherry Walling
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is sponsored by SmashDigital.com.
Longtime listeners will be familiar with Travis Jamison’s companies Supremacy SEO and SaaSicorn. They have rebranded as Smash Digital, with the same incredible SEO insights and results.
What they offer is simple yet essential: fully managed SEO services, link building, and audits. It’s how they deliver it that is unique. Get a fresh view on the potential your business has to reach a sustainable source of customers from organic SEO traffic by reaching out to the team at Smash. Smash Digital is offering a free SEO site review for the listeners of the Tropical MBA Podcast.
Head over to SmashDigital.com/TMBA today and fill out the form to get your free SEO audit. Big thanks to the team at Smash Digital for sponsoring the show.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at email@example.com or leave us a voice message using the record button below.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian