Today’s show is all about seizing opportunities to find your tribe.
Last year, Dan and Ian invited Greg Gerber, who is a member of our community ‘The Dynamite Circle’, on to the show to talk about a trip he gifted an up-and-coming entrepreneur to our annual event in Bangkok, DCBKK.
And this idea of “paying it forward” has really taken off in the community since then.
At our recent event in Austin, TX, Meryl Johnston offered two free tickets on behalf of her company, Bean Ninjas. Dan and Ian then contributed a few free tickets of their own. Others offered airfares, coaching, travel bags and more.
On today’s podcast, you’ll hear from a recipient of one of those gifted tickets.
Jen Anderson is the founder of Mai-Tie, a company that makes unique, fashionable bowties out of vintage Hawaiian shirts. While her business is still in its infancy, she has a huge amount of experience in the startup world, and some interesting insights into that as well.
This is the story of what it means to find your people.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- How Jen originally started working in the startup space. (5:52)
- What was holding Jen back from leaving her job sooner. (11:23)
- How Jen first heard about the giveaway in the community and how she applied. (17:26)
- What Jen’s experience at the conference was like. (19:50)
- Jen’s thoughts on the mastermind process. (23:42)
Mentioned in the episode:
- Before the Exit – Our New Book
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Help Us Choose a New Name for the TropicalMBA Podcast
- DC BKK
- Dynamite Jobs
- Greg Gerber
- Meryl Johnston
- Bean Ninjas
- Lending Club
- John Doerr
- Allen Walton
- Amazon FBA
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is brought to you by Growth Ninja. Do you have a Facebook ads campaign that you have been struggling to scale with an increased budget? That’s because scaling Facebook ads is the hardest part of the game, but it is also the most profitable. Growth Ninja is a performance-based Facebook ads agency that specializes in scaling campaigns while maintaining and improving your return on investment. If you want to successfully scale your campaigns dramatically, go check out GrowthNinja.com and let them know the TMBA Podcast sent you.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian