Michael Lombardi is an American Football executive and analyst. He also served as an assistant to the coaching staff of the New England Patriots, one of the most successful franchises in the history of the National Football League.
While Dan was reading Michael’s new book “Gridiron Genius”, he realized it wasn’t just a book about sports. In many ways, Dan found “Gridiron Genius” to be as much about business as a football.
On today’s episode, we are talking with Michael about the similarities between American Football and entrepreneurship, and some leadership strategies in sports that entrepreneurs everywhere can learn from.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- Michael’s experience interning under the legendary Bill Walsh. (8:25)
- How Michael breaks down leaders into four categories. (12:21)
- Some of the successful strategies employed by the New England Patriots. (17:53)
- The challenges of building and maintaining a winning culture. (24:52)
- How to stop yourself from being bored with your business. (30:58)
Mentioned in the episode:
- Before the Exit – Our New Book
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Help Us Choose a New Name for the TropicalMBA Podcast
- DC BKK
- Dynamite Jobs
- Michael Lombardi
- Gridiron Genius by Michael Lombardi
- Leadership is Destroying Culture | Michael Lombardi | TEDxSantaBarbara
- Bill Walsh
- Bill Belichick
- San Fransisco 49ers
- New England Patriots
- In Search of Excellence by Thomas J. Peters and Robert H. Waterman Jr.
- Peter Drucker
- Warren Bennis
- Wisdom at Work by Chip Conley
- Memoirs of Henry Kissinger
- The Wire
- Bill Simmons
- Robert Caro
- The Power Broker by Robert Caro
- The Years of Lyndon Johnson by Robert Caro
- George Raveling
- Harvard Business Review
- Inc Magazine
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is brought to you by Growth Ninja. You’ve heard Growth Ninja advertise their performance-based Facebook ad service before on this podcast, but did you know they have a generous referral program that pays out 20% of their lifetime earnings? Referrers are making thousands every month from this program, and some of them have been getting those payments for years. If you know anyone who is already running profitable Facebook ads campaigns that are ready for some serious scale with a trusted agency, tell your friends about Growth Ninja! For more information, visit GrowthNinja.com/Referral.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave us a voice message using the record button below.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian