Today’s episode revolves around a question that Dan and Ian are struggling with right now: What is the best way to go about re-naming this show? But the principles apply to anyone creating a brand or product.
After all, you only get one chance to grab people’s attention. Choosing the right name can unlock the door to great success – but branding your business in the wrong way can be disastrous.
Today’s guest knows how to tackle this challenge better than most.
This interview originally started out as a discussion about Alexandra’s book, but it ended up taking a serious (and often quite humorous) turn about halfway through, when Alexandra went to great lengths to help Dan and Ian find a new name for this podcast.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- Why Alexandra decided to write a book about branding. (3:53)
- How to put your brand through the “Smile and Scratch Test”. (14:10)
- The first steps to choosing a good name for your brand. (29:30)
- How Alexandra puts her methods to work through a live “namestorming” session about our brand. (40:26)
- Some of Alexandra’s names that she is most proud of. (44:02)
Mentioned in the episode:
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Help Us Choose a New Name for the TropicalMBA Podcast
- Jungle Scout
- Alexandra Watkins
- Eat My Words
- Hello, My Name is Awesome by Alexandra Watkins
- Taylor Pearson
- Getty Images
- Canadian Tire
- Jeff Bezos
- The Dave Ramsey Show
- The Nasdaq Entrepreneurial Center
- Neato Robotics
- Hand Job Nails and Spa
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is brought to you by DCBKK. DCBKK is an immersive 5-day conference on October 18-22, 2017 hosted by the DC (Dynamite Circle) and presented by TropicalMBA creators Dan and Ian. The annual DCBKK conference is held in a 5 star hotel in Bangkok, Thailand for 250 established entrepreneurs running mid 5-figure to 8-figure businesses.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA 278: An Episode For Those Who Need a Business Idea
- TMBA 367: The Business Idea Bonanza with Dan Norris
- TMBA 396: The Realities of Running a Business in 2017
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected]
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian