Ian has said that believed he could have closed that deal if he just used the right tactics.
Today’s guest has spent a lifetime working on negotiations, but he has primarily done so in matters of life or death.
Since leaving the FBI, Chris has devoted his time to a new business called Black Swan Ltd., which teaches people how to use the skills that he learned during his time in the field to improve their negotiation skills in business and other situations.
In this week’s episode, you’ll hear Chris go into great detail about emotional intelligence, how to choose the right language while negotiating, and why you should never split the difference.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- The only time that you should be using the word “why” in a negotiation. (6:24)
- Why the best way to say no is “How am I supposed to do that?” (16:42)
- The story of a high-stakes kidnapping negotiation. (23:48)
- How empathy can be a competitive advantage. (37:07)
- What Christopher hopes people take away from his book. (46:00)
Mentioned in the episode:
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Help Us Choose a New Name for the TropicalMBA Podcast
- DC BKK
- Chris Voss
- Black Swan Ltd.
- Never Split The Difference by Chris Voss and Tahl Raz
- Tahl Raz
- Never Eat Alone by Tahl Raz
- 3 Ways To Make “No” Work For You
- The World According to Garp by John Irving
- Dr. Stephen Covey
- Daniel Kahneman
- Ned Colletti
- Warren Buffett
- Oprah Winfrey
- H.R. McMaster
- John F. Kelly
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is brought to you by Ahrefs. Ahrefs offers unbelievable tools to help you grow your search traffic, research your competitors, and monitor your niche. Best of all, they are offering one lucky TropicalMBA listener a chance to win a free annual subscription valued at almost $2000. Enter to win by sharing this episode on your Facebook page and letting us know in the comments below.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA 390: How to Get Better at Sales
- TMBA 402: What’s Your Superpower?
- TMBA 405: A Conversation with Noah Kagan
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian