Some entrepreneurs have a secret.
Adopting a pseudonym, or a “pen name”, is a common practice on the internet.
Even one of the hosts of this show, Dan Andrews, has been using a pseudonym for many years.
Some people do it because their name is difficult to pronounce, others are worried about being stalked, or because they want to improve their Google rankings.
We’ve also spoken to people who regret having taken a “fake identity”, and believe it has started to adversely affect their lives.
In today’s episode, you will hear from several entrepreneurs who have adopted pseudonyms as they share the reasons why they chose to do it, the pros and cons of taking on a pseudonym, and much more.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- Why some entrepreneurs are happy with the pseudonyms they’ve taken. (2:34)
- How a pseudonym can cause problems as your business grows. (5:30)
- Why one entrepreneur wishes he never adopted a pseudonym. (7:22)
- Why Dan chose to use a pseudonym. (8:46)
- How adopting a different identity can have a negative effect on the psyche. (15:37)
Mentioned in the episode:
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is sponsored by SmashDigital.com.
Longtime listeners will be familiar with Travis Jamison’s companies Supremacy SEO and SaaSicorn. They have rebranded as Smash Digital, with the same incredible SEO insights and results.
What they offer is simple yet essential: fully managed SEO services, link building, and audits. It’s how they deliver it that is unique. Get a fresh view on the potential your business has to reach a sustainable source of customers from organic SEO traffic by reaching out to the team at Smash. Smash Digital is offering a free SEO site review for the listeners of the Tropical MBA Podcast.
Head over to SmashDigital.com/TMBA today and fill out the form to get your free SEO audit. Big thanks to the team at Smash Digital for sponsoring the show.
Deal of the Week:
This week’s Dynamite Deal comes to us courtesy of ClickMinded.
So far, our deals have been with done-for-you services. But today’s offer focuses on your in-house marketing team – whether they’re employees, freelancers, or VAs.
When there’s a lot going on in a small business, sometimes just a few team members are responsible for a variety of marketing tasks.
This deal is a one-time cost that gives your team ongoing access to the knowledge and implementation methods from the marketing teams at top tech companies like Airbnb, Lyft, and TechStars.
Imagine how your business will perform in 2020 if your team spends the final weeks of 2019 learning from experts and implementing their marketing systems.
Head on over to DynamiteDeals.co today to take advantage of this Dynamite Deal.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected] or leave us a voice message using the record button below.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian