In this week’s episode, they wanted to drill down on what that freedom actually means. To some, living a life of frugality can allow yourself to retire early, but does it really bring you freedom?
One year ago, Dan wrote an article called The Cult of Early Retirement Meets (Or Strangely, Doesn’t Meet) The Cult of Entrepreneurship. This article turned out to be fairly controversial, with many readers sharing their thoughts on early retirement and financial freedom.
Today, we are going to present an audio version of that article, followed by some opinions and reflections on the discussions that arose from it. You’ll also hear our thoughts on why the writings of early retirement bloggers don’t entirely click with entrepreneurs, why we believe our time is more valuable than money, and a whole lot more.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- What the entrepreneurial crowd and the early retirement crowd have in common. (4:25)
- Why Dan believes that early retirement philosophies are brutal on the mind and soul. (9:14)
- Our opinions on the article one year later. (22:01)
- Where the entrepreneurial crowd and the early retirement crowd don’t see eye to eye. (27:10)
- Why the early retirement lifestyle isn’t accessible for everyone. (32:53)
Mentioned in the episode:
- Before the Exit – Our New Book
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Help Us Choose a New Name for the TropicalMBA Podcast
- DC BKK
- Dynamite Jobs
- The Cult of Early Retirement Meets (Or Strangely, Doesn’t Meet) The Cult of Entrepreneurship
- The 1,000 Day Rule: What Living The Dream Really Looks Like
- Mr. Money Mustache
- Early Retirement Extreme
- Dave Ramsey
- Dan’s $350 car
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is brought to you by Audible. Audible has the largest selection of audiobooks on the planet. Audible syncs across all of your devices, so your favorite audiobooks will be available anywhere you want to listen. As an Audible member, you get a credit every month which is good for any audiobook in their store, regardless of the price. As a special offer to listeners of this show, you can visit Audible.com/TMBA or text “TMBA” to 500500 to get your first audiobook for free.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected]
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian