It all started with a cease and desist letter that we received via email at the beginning of the year.
That letter was from an in-house counsel at a very large company and it alleged that The Tropical MBA Podcast was potentially infringing on their trademark.
Eric joins us on today’s podcast to talk a little bit about intellectual property law, as well as the specific cease and desist letter that we received.
Make sure to stay tuned until the end of this episode to hear more about the ongoing nature of this situation.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- What happened when we first received the cease and desist email. (2:50)
- The email that we sent in response. (8:57)
- When it makes sense to register a trademark. (16:57)
- Some of the unique situations Eric faces working with online businesses. (33:48)
- Our most recent update on this situation. (44:33)
Mentioned in the episode:
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is sponsored by ShipHero. If you run a Shopify store, or you’re thinking about starting one, then you are likely aware of how much time you need to spend to managing inventory, fulfillment, and shipping, rather than focusing on the stuff you’re supposed to do to grow your business. ShipHero has created a solution that handles your inventory and ships orders on your behalf. They have warehouses throughout the US and provide easy, transparent pricing with no minimums or setup fees. ShipHero handles more Shopify third-party fulfillment orders than any other provider. As a special offer, ShipHero is offering TMBA podcast listeners $100 to try their fulfillment services. Just head over to Fulfillment.Shiphero.com/TMBA and use code TMBA to claim your offer. Big thanks to ShipHero for sponsoring the podcast.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave us a voice message using the record button below.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian