They were so inspired both what he had achieved and his advocacy of “old-school” entrepreneurship, which he discusses on his blog and podcast The Sweaty Startup, that they decided to invite him on to the show to share his story.
Nick Huber is one of the founders of Storage Squad, a storage company that he started with his business partner Dan in 2011 and has grown to nearly 3 million dollars in sales. Recently, they have begun diversifying into self-storage as well.
Nick joins us this week to share the story of Storage Squad, how he and Dan got it off the ground while they were still in college, how they have expanded it to other colleges throughout the United States, and the advantages of running a location-dependent business remotely.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- How Storage Squad started while Nick and his partner Dan were in college. (8:36)
- Why sidewalk chalk was the key to helping them expand. (15:16)
- What happened when they got way more customers than they anticipated. (24:46)
- The size and scope of Storage Squad today. (31:35)
- Why Nick believes there are untapped opportunities for entrepreneurs on the local level. (37:14)
Mentioned in the episode:
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is sponsored by SmashDigital.com. Longtime listeners will be familiar with Travis Jamison’s companies Supremacy SEO and SaaSicorn. They have rebranded as Smash Digital, with the same incredible SEO insights and results. What they offer is simple yet essential: fully managed SEO services, link building, and audits. It’s how they deliver it that is unique. Get a fresh view on the potential your business has to reach a sustainable source of customers from organic SEO traffic by reaching out to the team at Smash. Smash Digital is offering a free SEO site review for the listeners of the Tropical MBA Podcast. Head over to SmashDigital.com/TMBA today and fill out the form to get your free SEO audit. Big thanks to the team at Smash Digital for sponsoring the show.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at email@example.com or leave us a voice message using the record button below.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian