Tommy Griffith is the founder of ClickMinded, an online SEO training course that he started while he was working at Paypal. Tommy joined us two and a half years ago to talk about how he created that business as a Saturday Morning Side Hustle.
When we last spoke with Tommy in 2017, he was about to quit one of the best jobs in the world as the head of SEO at AirBNB to travel the world and focus on Clickminded full-time.
It didn’t go quite as planned, as you’ll find out on this week’s episode. Tommy returns to the podcast today to talk about what went wrong, and why he decided almost eight years into growing his business that it was time to take on a co-founder.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- What prompted Tommy’s decision to leave AirBNB to focus on Clickminded. (4:22)
- Why he compares himself to the manager of a Panda Express. (15:38)
- How Tommy came to the realization that he needed a business partner. (25:46)
- How the business went from pre-selling a course for six-figures to losing money. (32:50)
- Why achieving your goals can often be a double-edged sword. (42:25)
Mentioned in the episode:
- Before the Exit – Our New Book
- TMBA Masterminds
- Sponsor the TMBA Podcast
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Help Us Choose a New Name for the TropicalMBA Podcast
- DC BKK
- Dynamite Jobs
- Tommy Griffith
- Burning the Boats: Going All In on a Side Project
- The Digital Marketing Strategy Guide
- The SEO Strategy Guide
- Trust Me, I’m Lying by Ryan Holiday
- Naval Ravikant
- Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
- Mark Manson
- The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus
- Sammy Hagar on The Forward Podcast with Lance Armstrong
This week’s sponsor:
This week’s episode is sponsored by The Dynamite Circle. The Dynamite Circle has been around for over 8 years and is a private community for established entrepreneurs. First and foremost, the Dynamite Circle is a community of peers, who understand their challenges and are willing to help each other on a day-to-day basis. Dynamite Circle members can choose to be placed in carefully matched online masterminds, have access to free bespoke recruitment services via Dynamite Jobs, and can seek and share advice through our private business forum. You are also able to buy tickets for our events around the world, including our longstanding annual event in Bangkok, DC BKK. Stop growing your business alone, head on over to TropicalMBA.com/DC for more information.
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at [email protected] or leave us a voice message using the record button below.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST. Cheers, Dan & Ian