But, preparing for this episode, Ian undertook a little research about apprenticeships worldwide. He discovered that, in many developed countries, there’s a robust ‘apprenticeship culture’ that just does not exist in the United States.
So, on this week’s show, we are going to bring you the story of an apprenticeship told from both sides.
Jacob Puhl hired Cory Ames as an apprentice at the company Jake co-founded, called Firegang Dental Marketing. You’ll hear how their relationship started and how it evolved to where it is today, with Cory is preparing to take on a brand new role.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- Why Jacob ultimately decided to hire an apprentice. (3:26)
- At what point Jake realized Cory’s potential to contribute to his company. (9:39)
- How their relationship almost came to an abrupt end. (13:44)
- What steps they took to salvage things. (17:35)
- How Cory is transitioning to his new role at Firegang. (27:40)
Mentioned in the episode:
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Jacob Puhl
- Cory Ames
- Firegang Dental Marketing
- The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss
- Derek Sivers
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA 159: A is for Apprentice
- TMBA 294: A Guide to Finding, Winning, and Creating Location Independent Apprenticeships
- TMBA 305: Building Teams of A Players
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST.
Dan & Ian