David is the co-founder of Basecamp and creator of Ruby on Rails. In this episode, we’re going to be talking about a subject that some see as a blueprint for getting mega rich and others consider a dirty word: Venture Capital.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- The differences between success in the VC world and building a successful lifestyle business. (6:03)
- How David and his partner decided to sell a minority stake in Basecamp. (16:38)
- Why keeping yourself engaged in your business can end up being extremely profitable. (24:45)
- How Wade’s life has changed since taking a million dollars in venture capital for Zapier. (25:51)
- Why investing more money doesn’t always guarantee faster growth. (28:48)
Mentioned in the episode:
- The Dynamite Circle
- David Heinemeier Hansson
- Ruby on Rails
- ReWork by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson
- Getting Real
- Jason Fried
- Y Combinator
- Paul Graham
- Chris Sacca
- Maverick by Ricardo Semler
- Kathy Sierra
- Jeff Bezos
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA244: “I Got My First Monies, What Should I Do Now?”
- TMBA290: A Conversation About Bootstrapping and Drop Shipping With Andrew Youderian
- TMBA323: No Office Required
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at email@example.com.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST.
Dan & Ian