But, if you’re not a motorhead, have no fear. This episode is actually about the entrepreneurial journey of Matt Farah, a highly successful automotive journalist, who rose to fame through his YouTube channel, The Smoking Tire.
You’re going to hear the compelling story of how Matt started off by losing money, but then bootstrapped himself into the unique position that he’s in today.
OK … there is a little bit of car talk in there too.
Stay tuned until the very end to hear a bonus lightning round of nerdy automotive questions (including which vehicle Matt thinks has the very best sound system).
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- How Matt became passionate about cars and what led him to the path of automotive journalism. (5:14)
- Why the internet pays in volume, not in quality. (14:14)
- How Matt was able to turn a profit on his YouTube channel after five straight years of losing money. (18:36)
- The differences between producing video content for the internet and traditional television. (27:12)
- What Matt’s personal car collection looks like. (28:26)
Mentioned in the episode:
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- The Smoking Tire on YouTube
- The Smoking Tire Podcast
- 1972 Datsun 240Z – One Take
- Gotham Dream Cars
- AMMO Car Care
- Google Maps
- Next New Networks
- Top Gear
- We Live in Public (and the end of empathy) by Jason Calacanis
- All Cars Go to Heaven
- Turn 10 Studios
- Smosh Games
- Google Calendar
- Porsche Boxster
- Porsche GT3RS
- Fox Body Mustang
- SN95 Mustang
- Nissan Skyline GT-R
- Gran Turismo
- Aston Martin Vanquish
- Matt Talks Lexus on Car Stories Podcast
- 2009 Yamaha Zuma Scooter
- Regular Car Reviews
- Hydraulic Press Channel
- Russ Perry
- Design Pickle
- Chevy Volt
- Tesla Motors
- Bullrun Rally
- Ford Focus RS
- Hummer H1
- Ford GT 2005 Quicksilver
- Range Rover
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA066: The Tao of the Hustle
- TMBA126: 5 Ways to Produce Expert Level Content (Even If You Aren’t An Expert)
- TMBA330: Getting the Most Out of YouTube
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST.
Dan & Ian