On this week’s show Dan and Ian were originally going to be talking about the three different stages of entrepreneurship, but once Dan started speaking with Michael Erickson, he knew that this conversation was worth devoting an entire episode to.
Michael trained hard and loved the career path that he was on initially, but a sudden change in his life-script drove him to become an entrepreneur. Michael’s story is ultimately about how difficult circumstances can prompt you to change your life, and how transforming your mindset is the first hurdle to achieving entrepreneurial success.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- Michael’s first career and what happened when he was laid off from his job. (4:00)
- How Michael first started making money online. (5:51)
- One of the common misconceptions that entrepreneurs have about creating their own structure. (11:03)
- A mindset trap that a lot of freelancers fall into. (12:00)
- How the challenges have changed since Michael’s business has grown. (13:50)
Mentioned in the episode:
- The Dynamite Circle
- Jacob Puhl
- Verne Harnish
- Good to Great by Jim Collins
- The Personal MBA by Josh Kaufman
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA120: Our Mindset Manifesto: Lessons From 5 Years of Running a Business
- TMBA230: Entrepreneurial Mindset Fundamentals
- TMBA309: “Though We’ve Hit Over 100k MRR in Less Than a Year, I Still Feel Like an Outsider”
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST.
Dan & Ian