This week’s episode is one for the writers, bloggers and creators. Dan and Ian have invited Jodi Ettenberg on to the show this week. Jodi is the author of a blog called LegalNomads.com, and she makes a full time living as a writer. She recently gave the closing address at the TBEX conference, where she talked about what it takes to make a living writing full time. You’re going to hear why Jodi feels that strong narratives are so important, along with her views on the balance between making money, keeping your integrity and making great art. You’ll also hear her thoughts on how travel writing might develop over the next few years.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- How food connected Jodi to the different cultures that she was traveling in. (4:21)
- Some of the most important points from Jodi’s most recent keynote speech. (7:01)
- The importance of focusing on the details of people’s lives. (8:30)
- Why Jodi believes long form posts are ultimately more beneficial to people than shorter posts. (17:00)
- How Jodi feels about the future of long-form blogging. (27:06)
Mentioned in the episode:
- The Dynamite Circle
- The Best Smoothie in Chiang Mai
- Don George – Intelligent Travel
- The Big Picture
- Buffer Blog
- Hipster Barbie Quits the Internet
- A Week in the Mysterious Sleeping Villages of Kazakhstan
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA128: Is Starting a Personal Blog Hazardous to Your Entrepreneurial Health?
- TMBA246: Should You Be Blogging?
- TMBA310: A Conversation About Writing Books
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at email@example.com.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST.
Dan & Ian