In 2014 Russ walked away from the traditional-model advertising and branding agency that he’d co-founded a decade earlier. He then, basically, started again from scratch:
“My blank slate was pretty blank slate. It was: you have no business, there’s no revenue, you have nothing, and you’ve got a ton of financial obligations that you’ve got to make sure get figured out in less than 30 days.”
Two years later, Design Pickle has 20 full-time employees and, just last month, billed $90k in recurring revenue. You’ll hear about how Russ achieved all this, as well as an in-depth discussion of Bossman’s pickle preferences.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- Where Russ was at in his life when he decided it was time to end his first business. (2:36)
- What made Russ decide to start a productized service business. (8:12)
- How much Design Pickle has grown in less than two years. (11:59)
- The “dirty secret” of most creative-based service companies. (23:49)
- Why Russ believes culture is their secret weapon. (31:31)
Mentioned in the episode:
- The Dynamite Circle
- The DC Podcast
- Russ Perry
- Design Pickle
- Gen Con
- Short Circuit
- Taylor Pearson
- The 7 Day Startup by Dan Norris
- WP Curve
- 37 Signals
- Mt. Olive Pickle Company
- Claussen Pickles
- Van Holten’s Pickles
- Mrs. Klein’s Pickle Co.
- 500 Startups
- Hannibal Buress
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA227: The Rise of Productized Services
- TMBA282: Starting With Productized Services: Learn a Skill, Package It For Sale, Then Scale
- TMBA326: To VC or Not to VC, That is the Question
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST.
Dan & Ian