It’s time for another Tropical Talk Radio podcast, which gets published every Friday afternoon (Hong Kong time). Here’s the link to subscribe in iTunes if you haven’t already done so. This week follows up from last week’s podcast where James and Dan laid the groundwork for a strategy that would require about 10,000 unique visitors a month to get a successful blog-based business off the ground. To follow up on that topic, Dan invited Jodi Ettenberg of Legal Nomads on the show to talk traffic and engagement.
Over the last few years she’s built a passionate following and traffic over 4 times that 10,000 visitor baseline. They discuss some of the social media strategies– in particular Twitter and Facebook– that helped her drive big numbers and a unique level of engagement. Although she promotes a personal brand, there’s a bunch of lessons to be learned for brands and boostrapping entrepreneurs alike.
Jodi’s Social Media Recommendations
- Think of Twitter as the place to infuse your brand with personality.
- Follow the people who provide you with content you crave and use lists to keep track of the rest.
- Keep track of what works using Bit.ly links and services like Tweriod or SocialBro to figure out the best time to tweet based on your followers’ locations.
- 5-10 tweets a day is the sweet spot, not including ongoing conversations.
- Tweetdeck or Buffer are helpful for scheduling tweets.
- Use “via @____” intsead of RT “@_____” and add your own editorial.
- Limit hashtags to events and other special occasions.
- Use the subscribe function for personality-based businesses to drive traffic using your own profile. This enables certain links or albums to be available to public subscribers.
- Fan pages still serve a purpose for gathering readers and coordinating events but with Facebook’s upcoming changes to their news feed, they will be less prominent.
3) Content Curation
- News.me – Sends you a daily email based on your twitter feed’s contents.
- GetPrismatic.com – iPhone app and website culls the best from your networks.
- Feedly.com – Perhaps the new Google Reader.
Get your voice or question on TTR:
- Want to be on Tropical Talk Radio? Leave me a message. It’s easy to do, and if you mess up, you can easily edit your message until you are ready to send it.
Mentioned on this show:
- Followerwonk or Findinfluence.com – Help you find potential followers and influencers.
- Creating Twitter Lists
- TweetDeck or Hootsuite – Use to manage your social media accounts.
- Ed Yong – (@EdYong209)
- Brain Picker – (@BrainPicker)
- Donald Trump – (@realDonaldTrump)
- Kanye West – (@Kanye West)
People on this show:
- Dan (@TropicalMBA)
- Jodi Ettenberg – (@LegalNomads) – Legal Nomads – On Instagram – On Facebook
- James Clark – (@NomadicNotes) – Nomadic Notes
Episode length: 24:47
Other download options:
- Download from iTunes and Subscribe to Tropical Talk Radio by clicking this link.
- If you don’t like iTunes, here’s the MP3 file–> [DOWNLOAD MP3]
- Android, Apple, Palm & other listeners can listen on Stitcher Radio
If you’ve found the podcast at all helpful or entertaining, we’d love if you could click over to our iTunes page and give us a positive review, or visit Stitcher radio and give us the good ol’ Thumbs Up. I’m always happy to hear critical feedback as well. Please feel free to email me if you know some ways we can make it better dan at tropical mba dot com.