When Dan and Ian stumbled upon Jeff Giesea’s article in the Harvard Business Review titled “Dealing With the Emotional Fallout of Selling Your Business“ it struck a chord because they’ve recently sold the largest business they have ever created and are still in ‘tailspin’ about the whole process.
So they decided to invite Jeff (who has been through a similar experience a couple of times) onto the show to talk about his experience and insights.
In this week’s episode Jeff shares some of the mistakes he made (so that you don’t have to) and also some reflections on different aspects of the emotional fall out – positive and negative – that an ‘exit’ brings.
Listen to this week’s show and learn:
- How Jeff dealt with the “Identity Crisis” that he went through after selling his first business. (8:38)
- The similarities between selling a business and selling real estate. (15:50)
- The biggest mistakes that Jeff made during his exit. (18:51)
- How Jeff has approached investments since selling his business. (22:54)
- Why Jeff believes you should embrace a little bit of floating in your life after you sell your business. (27:45)
Mentioned in the episode:
Enjoyed this podcast? Check out these:
- TMBA217: Selling the Assets of Your Business In a Strategic Sale
- TMBA303: 7 Things to Consider When Selling Your Business
- TMBA328: How Do You Manage Your Money?
- Subscribe via iTunes.
- Listen on Stitcher Radio.
- Android users can grab our RSS feed here.
- Right-click and “save file as” for direct download.
- Or click here to get sent to the top of the page where the on-site player is.
- Have comments about the show, or ideas for things you’d like Dan and Ian to discuss on future episodes? Our producer Jane would love to hear from you at email@example.com.
Thanks for listening to our show! We’ll be back next Thursday morning 8AM EST.
Dan & Ian